Saturday, March 11, 2017

Miscellaneous notes on Charter Experience So Far

Here's a report on my experience with Charter:

  • Installation took about 35 minutes for everything.  I had prepared by deciding where I wanted the above ground line to run.  I have extensive terracing on my "cliff-side" property, so I am going to run the line through some pvc and also above ground, attached to some of the terracing structures to avoid cutting the line.  
  • I kept my DirecTV DVR.  I ran that into another HDMI input on my Receiver and we can finish all the TV shows we had recorded by switching the receiver over to that input.  Then I will return the DVR.
  • The phone is very clear and works fine; better than the ATT land line.
  • I have an elaborate internal network of multiple Access Points and wifi extenders.  I had to reprogram one access point because I was using a fairly high end router that really wasn't made to be just and Access Point.  Otherwise, out with the AT&T 7550 and I switched another current generation router I had to be the main router and internal IP address provider.  (It had been configured as an Access Point.)  But I didn't have to mess with the Wifi on any of the devices other than... I made everything WPA2 only, so that the wifi could run at its highest capable speed rather than limited by the WPA restriction.  That didn't impact any of my devices, since they were all WPA2.  
  • My internet service is 65 Mbps down and a tenth of that up.  Better than advertised.
  • The Charter DVR can record two programs.  The interface for programming is so 90s.  A real leap down from what was available from DirecTV.  
  • The DVR can be programmed from the Spectrum web site.  (Charter is rebranding itself... probably because Charter service gave Charter such a bad name for itself.)  However, I couldn't get it to work.  After searching for real person help on the web site, I finally found that help by googling for it.  I used a Chat session and found that the programs and programming side of the Spectrum web site had been down for several days, was still down, and there was no ETR.  Good old Charter! 
  • For those of you with real-time on demand streaming know, there is a UGH! associated with this capability.  Charter is big into supplying thousands of on-demand programs, including series.  The shows are good, and the picture quality is exceptional.  But you HAVE TO WATCH THE WHOLE DARN THING, INCLUDING COMMERCIALS.  You can't pause- at least I haven't found a way on Charter.  (On Amazon Prime directly from my SmartTV and on my computer I can pause.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF