Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Fake Chrome Update

I clicked on a link that I thought was legitimate and I received one of those pages that said Chrome was out of date and to it provided a big button to upload the new version.  That was suspicious:  Chrome doesn't do that any more.  The screen looked like this:


I went to the three dots on the upper right that give access to the chrome settings.  I went down to the Help selection at the bottom of the dropdown, and selected About Google Chrome.  The resulting page said my chrome was up-to-date.  So this was bogus.

Upon display of this page, a piece of code was downloaded and was ready to run.  I went to downloads and deleted that piece of code.

The link invoked by the Update Chrome button led to stat.comcuvar.info This site "doesn't exist." I guess it is one of those "black sites."   But the site appears to be in Serbia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF