Saturday, February 4, 2017

What is the best router?

I recently received the following question:

I recently read an article from PC magazine depicting issues with the Time Warner/Charter routers. Specifically relative to not being able in many cases to support the through put and rental costs over an extended period of time. Was wondering if you had researched routers and perhaps have a recommendation or two. Speed and streaming and coverage being the most important.

Thank you for that question.  

First, here is a 2017 review of routers from PCMag:  http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398080,00.asp
I encourage that you read this article, not only for the reviews but for the tutorial on router features.  I also encourage searching for "2017 router reviews"  for similar articles. 

The article doesn't mention the capability you will need in the future:  protecting all your wifi-connected devices from botnet invasion.  Plus, 
  • I have seen some other routers not included in this review that seem to work well.  
  • If you have electronic obstacles in your house, or you have a large house, and you don't have ethernet service to the nether regions of your house or property, you will need one or more or both of either a "repeater" or a "wifi extender."  As you increase your household use of streaming video, especially the 4K video, you will need to know how to set up your router to use multiple bands to service the signal, plus you will need to reconsider running ethernet to some areas of your house.  (The latter usually isn't as bad as it sounds, assuming you have attic and/or basement or crawlspace access.)
The router that is best for you depends on 
  • your sensitivity to price + sales (careful on sales:  the routers that are deeply discounted are the ones that are likely "old technology.")
  • the electronic barriers in your house
  • the number and kind of network-connected devices you currently have
  • your future plans for adding network-connected devices (routers can last 5 years or more, assuming you have them properly protected against electrical surge)
  • your technical capability, or your access to someone with that capability  (Installation and/or upgrade of your network communication can cost many times the cost of the router(s) themselves)
  • Your ability to understand the foreign support people- most are difficult to understand and have only freshman technical skills.  (At times I have had good experiences with both Cisco (Linksys) and Netgear, but it varies with each call.)
So, at the end of this blog, I haven't answered the question, have I?  What is the best router?  When I look for a new router I will look for full botnet protection, something that will cover the area it needs to cover, considering that I have 4 other access points served by ethernet in the house, and then price.  Support will not be an issue for me, and it shouldn't be for anyone in the communities I service.  It will have 1 2.4 signal, 2 5 signals, and a guest channel.  I don't have the problem of supplying a 4K video signal over wifi:  I have my 4K set ethernet-connected.  But that might be a consideration for you.  

Finally, with respect to Charter, I doubt that the Charter router rental will be the best for price/performance for you.  I suggest you purchase a router that suits your needs based on the above discussion and the referenced article.  If you have a credit card or a store that automatically extends warranty service, then take advantage of it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF