Thursday, February 16, 2017

Fingerprint ID for your smartphone: what an advantage!

Following up with the last post, I discussed that I had to get a new phone and it was a hassle dealing with two factor authentication.  Well, I discovered that the fingerprint feature on the new phone more than makes up for the hassle.  The phone security itself and some apps, particularly the password manager I use, Lastpass, can use your fingerprint for security verification.  No more signing in to Lastpass.  (Lastpass provides userid and password for all my apps and internet browsing, but it even when I sign in, that sign in only lasts for a few minutes; then I have to do it all over again.  My password is very difficult to type using the phone, so it takes time and do-overs.)  I put my finger over the fingerprint reader and I'm in to Lastpass.  Same thing for other fingerprint reader enabled apps plus my phone itself.

I know, you see all the crime shows where the crook gets a plastic cast of your finger print and uses it.  If your are one of those who will be exposed to this kind of fraud, then you should probably not use this feature.  Ditto if you have a job or hobby where you are likely to lose that digit.  But then, the backup for the fingerprint reader is to use your pins and passwords.  So you aren't completely locked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF