Tuesday, February 14, 2017

The circular firing squad of two factor authentication

Yesterday I dropped my phone and the screen broke.  Today I went to the phone store and got a new phone, one with a supposedly shatterproof screen...  We'll see.  BUT... I am a "believer" in two factor authentication AND in using a password manager to give me random passwords for all my logons.  All good except when you buy a new phone.  So you have to go to the phone's "Store" to download the password manager.  For google, you have to sign on to get anything.  Both of these require a password.  Dah... I don't know my password:  it's in the password manager.  Which I can't download unless I have the google password and the store password (one and the same on Android).  Furthermore, even if I have my password, with 2 factor, you have to have the appropriate 2 factor application (Google Authenticator) downloaded and configured.  Which requires passwords and interaction with the application's 2 factor process.

Therefore, I have to wait to configure the phone until I get home and can look up the passwords on my computer plus configure the Authenticator.    So... this day's hint is to write down your store password and your google password before you go to the store.  Then the store people will be able to completely configure your phone for you.  When you get home, you can download your entire set of applications plus the contents of your old phone using wifi and your service provider's backup cloud + store backup.  Did you know that, at least for the Google Playstore, it backs up a list of all your applications so that, if you have to replace your phone, you can log on to the Playstore (with your phone's primary Google user id and password) and recover all the applications?   This is a big deal for someone like mean who is so dependent on a smart cell phone just to go through a normal day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF