Monday, October 5, 2009

MyBillingServices, Inc Scam On Your ATT Invoice

I discovered a charge of $8.43 on my most recent ATT invoice.  I called the number listed as part of the invoice entry: 800.215.1961.  They said someone with my number clicked on an web site and, as part of the clicking, the phone number was signed up for this service.  It is not clear how this happened. 

I use Firefox, so I have a history of every single page I visit.  I looked at the bill entry and it has a date of 9-03.  There was nothing in the list on 9-03 or 9-02 that would indicate I’d visited a page where I could sign up for something.  So I don’t know what the page looks like. 

However, I googled “MyBillingServices problems” and got a lot of hits.  You can see some of the examples of web pages where they have signed up.  The pages certainly don’t look like you are signing up for something. 

I filed a report on ComplaintsBoard.com

I assume there was small print somewhere on the gotcha web page indicating the signup.  It would be in very small print and at the bottom of the page- who scrolls all the way to the bottom of each page they visit?- or otherwise partly hidden.  It got by whomever it was in my household or acquaintances who was browsing the internet.  The result was this entry. 

I asked the person at MyBillingServices, to remove me from their roles and remove the charge from my invoice.  They said they would.  I called ATT and they said they had no control.  They said that the charge would be removed.  Automatically. 

So there’s some kind of a scam going on here.  Beware.  Carefully watch your ATT invoices. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF