Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Quicken dirty trick for all 2018 and future versions: annual charge for downloads equal to cost of a new version

It used to be that when you bought any version of Quicken, you would set up all your accounts to either download all transactions automatically at start up from the appropriate web site or download when an icon was clicked from within the program.  From 2018 versions on, this download feature is only available if you pay an annual license fee equal to the cost of that year's new version.  That at least triples the out of pocket cost of Quicken for most users.  In other words, there is an annual fee from now on for using Quicken as users have come to expect it to work.  If you don't pay the annual fee, then you must enter all transactions on all accounts by hand.

For me, the Quicken download feature allows me to track usage of all accounts, especially credit card accounts, to both automatically enter all transactions into the Quicken and for me to spot, in one place, any suspicious transactions so I can respond in a timely manner.

So, what I did was drop down to the release with the smallest feature list I could live with, cutting my license cost in half. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF