Thursday, June 19, 2014

Tablet Review (Summer 2014)

The personal computer space has been undergoing a transition from laptop and desktop to tablet.  My general recommendation is that if you just use a computer for browsing and email, plus perhaps an occasional document, consider a tablet.  If you are a touch typist, then consider a tablet and a real keyboard.

(Personal note:  I don't have a real tablet; I have a smartphone with a full size blue tooth keyboard.  The reason is that I already have an array of computers, not that I don't consider and wouldn't place as a top priority consideration of a tablet as my "main" computer.  Though I don't have a tablet, I have serviced enough to be considered an "expert" on their ease of use, quality, and performance.)

Conversely, if you are a power user, then a tablet could be an accessory and you would keep a laptop or desktop as your primary device.

Tablets can be bought with any one of two and a half operating systems.  At the root level, there are two:  Windows and Unix/Linux.  Ignoring eReaders, which are also Unix/Linux variants, Unix/Linux comes in two "shells:" Apple's iOS and Android.

If you are in the market for a tablet, use the following articles to inform your decision:

  • iPad vs Android vs Windows Buying Guide
  • 10 Reasons to buy a Windows tablet  (On that page, click on the picture strip, picture by picture, to see the reasons.)
  • Lenovo tablets (I tend toward Lenovo products for quality/value)(Disclosure:  I retired from IBM and worked on hardware, software, and manufacturing design. However, Lenovo has long since become its own company.  I've just found Lenovo has less problems and any non-chicklet keyboard can have a better feel.)
If you don't like any of these articles, google "tablet iPad Android Windows" or something more specific.  Add "prices" or "bargains" to that to go internet shopping.

I recommend trying your top two selections before buying.

PS.  In general, the features that are of most interest to me are:

  • USB port:  Don't know how you can replace your existing computers without one USB port
  • processor:  Many come with the Atom processor.  That's the same as a phone processor.  Get a quad core.  Anything less will drive you crazy.  Intel i3 or i5 4th generation at a reasonable price (less than $600) should be available soon.  
  • keyboard:  touch type capable keyboard is a must for me, but it can be done by getting an independent bluetooth keyboard.  It is just kind of awkward to carry the keyboard around when it doesn't "conform/fit" with the tablet.  
  • storage:  I know I can get by with 32 G for a phone, but a tablet replacement for a laptop or desktop- another story.  I think 64G minimum, 128G better.  (with a 3.0 USB port)   64G USB 3.0 flash drives are at a very reasonable price point now, so you can extend your memory using the flash drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF