Monday, December 2, 2013

Windows 8 to 8.1 Conversion: My List of Problems and Resolution

Introduction

I've converted some systems from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 and hit some snags along the way.  In fact, I'm finding new ones all the time.  Rather than create a blog item every time I have a problem, I'm going to make this my on blog entry for all issues.  As I hit an issue, I'll document it here; both issue and resolution.  So return here every so often, or when you actually install Windows 8.1.

Issue:  Office 2010 Freezes

Description:  Office 2010 works for a while but, when I do some kind of action, it freezes.  In my case, I wanted to format a column.  I right clicked on the column number, clicked "format", and the application froze.  
Solution:  There are discussions of this on the internet, but they are conflicting.  My solution is to repair Office.  Go to the Control Panel.Default Programs.  Click on Programs and Features.  Select (left click) the Office version that is has the problem.  A link will appear at the top:  Repair.  Single left click that and let the repair take place.  Restart your computer.  The problem should have resolved itself.  Note:  Each edition of Office has different problems and ways to resolve the problems.  For your situation, google "Office {your version} problem Windows 8.1."

Issue:  MsiExec errors (Have to find in Event Viewer; might not "see" anything as a user except erratic behavior

Description:  Faulting application name: MsiExec.exe, version: 5.0.9600.16384, time stamp: 0x52158c02
Faulting module name: SHELL32.dll, version: 6.3.9600.16456, time stamp: 0x5278fede
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Solution:  See discussion here.  Windows 8.1 is buggy.

Issue:  General Instability

Description:  System is not behaving well.  Programs or printers hanging.  
Solution:  start a cmd window as administrator. (Type cmd on the Start screen.  Right click "Command Prompt" from the search results.  From the drop down, select "run as administrator."   Enter sf /scannow.

Issue:  This message:    The "IWD Bus Enumerator" is disabled.

Description:   This message occurs soon after installation of 8.1.  If you go to the Device Manager, right click on IWD Bus Enumerator and select the "update driver software" option, you get that the latest driver is already installed.  However, in the device manager there are two lines "IWD Bus Enumerator": the first line is normal (i.e., enabled), and the second line shows that error message (yellow triangle).

Solution:  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF