Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Prepare Your Information Technology Will!

I know I still have some work to do on the travel tips entry in this blog, but events in my family and in the community have led me to put this blog LeetLink Tips entry to top priority.

Please get your information technology world in order!

What would happen to all the information you have on the internet when you die:  web site subscriptions, sites where you have stored your credit card information, your personal information, or set up automatic payments?  All this information should be deleted; but will it?

On the other hand, information on web sites that need to be kept, such as documents or emails:  do you have directives on where these are and what needs to be saved?

Other than the internet, you need to consider information on your computer(s), tablet(s), and phone(s). Which of these do you have? What information needs to be deleted, what should be kept?  What are the passwords?

You need to set up your Information Technology Will!  This has to contain directives on all of the above.

I know this is a pain to do, but for your family's sake, please do it.  I don't think I need to dwell on the justifications; they are self-evident.

What do I do?

  • First, I use an application that uses the latest secure technology to manage my IT Will.  It contains all this information and is accessible on the internet.  You can use paper and pencil, an excel document, or whatever... just get all the information and instructions down.
  • Second, identify your IT Trustees.  Give them instructions on where your IT Will is and any other pertinent instructions. I have given the password to the above repository- one that is so complex there is no chance of it being broken- to my children, along with instructions on what to do if something should happen.   My spouse has this information too, but she will need the support of my IT savvy kids to execute the directives.  Always make sure that at least one of your IT Trustees has the skills to execute your will.  
  • Third, change your existing internet habits.  You've heard this before:  complex passwords, use secure communication methods (https: instead of http:), and clean and sweep your computer, especially your browser, regularly.  (I know this needs further instruction... perhaps I need to set up a class on this.)
  • For those who read this, please get the word out to others to visit this blog and to get "write" your IT Will. 
Blessings

 

1 comment:

  1. It is a good practice to keep changing your password otherwise if anybody saw your password then may the next day he may try it to open your personal information.

    Nice security information you shared in this blog. Thanks and keep writing!

    Silvester Norman

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF