Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Ultrabooks- light and many hours on a battery charge

Ultrabooks are light laptops that can be both fast and have long battery life.  For many people, including me- this is a design point that is very attractive.  There are tons of articles on individual ultrabooks, aggregate ultrabook reviews, and tips on buying them.  I'm not going to recommend any particular brand or size, but I'll  list my desired design points:

  1. less than 3 lbs
  2. i5 processor (not i3)
  3. Windows 8 or Linux (Ubuntu)
  4. Full HD 1080p
  5. At least 1 3.0 USB and a total of 3 USB
  6. digital video output (usually HDMI).  I would use a second monitor for work at home
  7. At least 6 continuous hrs battery life- this means the flash storage needs to be fairly large:  at least 64 Gig.
  8. The flash drive or SSD drive, may be all you get.  Remember that flash drives have a limited lifetime (about 10K changes to an individual bit.).  The drives are designed to minimize changes per bit, but this is still a consideration.  My best design point would be a machine that allows SSD only operation in power saver mode but it has a regular hard drive that can run when in a higher power mode.  Otherwise, be sure you back up everything of interest or importance.  When the drive goes, replace it.
  9. Screen size- this is driven by #1- weight.  Also, if you want to use this in a plane, then stick with the smaller screens
  10. Keyboard:  I like a touch keyboard, which means chicket keys are harder to use.  Test the computer before you buy.
I haven't said which brand, but Apple certainly has good characteristics.  However, it is way more expensive than some others.  Most of you know that I have been down on Apple because the quality seems to be less than stellar.  Having been in computer manufacturing for most of my career, I know the Apple markup is large- my guess is 35-40%.  Apple is also harder to integrate into a home network.  eMail can be a problem, especially when you try to use ATT with the Apple Mail program.

Any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF