Sunday, October 14, 2012

Internet Explorer Blank Screen But No Errors

I ran into this problem: I entered a web site address (actually, it was to the Windows Update page) and there was the green busy icon at the bottom of the browser flashed for a minute. Nothing! The screen was blank and the browser status was that it was done! I futzed with this for a day and got to the point I was ready to reload the operating system. (I had tried EVERYTHING!) As I was copying the hard drive to a backup for safety, I tried one last time to find a hint on the internet. Long story short, I found the solution and here it is:

A couple of DLL’s were not properly registered. To solve this problem, enter the following two commands in the cmd window.

(For XP, click the Run icon on the Start Menu, type cmd and hit enter. For Vista and up, type "cmd" in the search field and click on the icon when it shows up on the search list.)

regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 MSXML3.dll  

After following the above steps restart Internet Explorer and everything should work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF