Friday, September 28, 2012

Problems Coming Out of Sleep Mode, Windows 7

Problem:

The screen saver is displayed for a time and then, when it is the set time for the computer to go to sleep (set in the Power Options), the screen goes black.  This is normal.  However, when I jiggle the mouse to wake up the computer, Windows does not go directly to the desktop; it goes to a blue screen with a box containing my user name and the word "locked".  There is another icon I can click that says "switch user".  If I click that, another screen appears with my name under an icon (my avatar).  I click on that and I'm back into my session.

How can I change back to the behavior where jiggling the mouse takes me back to my desktop?

Answer:  

Click Start and then Control Panel and then Personalization to get:


Click "Screen Saver".  In this case, I don't have one, but you might.  It doesn't matter, just click the link. 
The resulting window looks like this:


See the check box labeled "On resume, display the logon screen"?  That should NOT be checked if you want to go directly back to your session.  Click OK.

That's it.



More Information

Windows Standby How-to
Tweeking Windows Sleeping Habits
Disable Automatic Lock


No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF