Saturday, August 11, 2012

Another AT&T Problem: Faulty DNS???

Since my internet came back, I have had problems loading some web sites.  There is no real pattern to this.  To paraphrase the browser message:  “Can’t load website, do you want to load a cached copy.”  If I click on the cached copy, it loads, but the page is not properly formatted.  If I click on a link of the displayed page, I get the “Can’t load Website…” message again. 

 

After looking at browser settings and trying Chrome, IE, and Firefox with the same result, I turned off my firewall.  That did not help.

I then thought about how technology obtains a web address:  there are layers of servers containing the names of websites and relating them to IP addresses.  These servers are called Domain Name Servers.  The first DNS that is queried for us is the AT&T DNS.  DNSs have IP addresses and we normally set both the router and the computer to obtain these DNS addresses automatically from AT&T.  It occurred to me that something might be wrong with AT&Ts DNS servers.  I know of other DNSs I can go to.  I changed my router setting so that I could enter the Primary and Secondary DNS server IP addresses manually.  I made the change and bingo!  I could reach all the address I wasn’t able to reach before. 

So you have to conclude something is wrong with the AT&T DNS servers.  I’ve filed a Ticket on this.  Let’s see what happens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF