Friday, March 2, 2012

IMPORTANT! What to do if your someone is using your email

Our communities have had a rash of "someone is sending spam/or worse emails in my name to people I know".   Everyone I know has a virus-clean computer AND uses an on-line email account, such as att.net or yahoo.   The standard "pat" answer from the email service providers is "change your password."  If you ask how this could happen, then say they don't know.

OK.  I've found a site that explains it all and provides appropriate instructions.  Start here.  I'm so glad I found this site, which was recommended by the denizens of bleepingcomputer.com.

There is another web page that has more detailed information.  It is written for AT&T/Yahoo customers, but the checklist is valid for all email systems.

The AT&T standard remedy is to change your password.  The instructions for doing this are here.   Changing your password does not remedy the problem.  Your userid and your contacts list has been collected by the perp; you can't recall that. 

My recommendation for a strategic solution is to not use AT&T yahoo as your email resource; use another option.  Delete all your contacts in your AT&T yahoo account.  Still use your AT&T email address as far as others are concerned, but you should redirect your email to that other option.  More detail?  Contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF